A Book Review- Mary Kay Andrews

I recently finished reading all the books by Mary Kay Andrews.
If you have never read these entertaining stories, you are missing out.
I know, I am obsessive compulsive and once I started on these, I couldn't stop, but you won't be able to either, OCD or not.
A Southern writer with a background in journalism, Andrews, tells tales of women in Georgia and other southern settings- in all kinds of predicaments, and they are hilarious. Her eye for detail and decor make the stories sing with personality and ambiance.

Little Bitty Lies was my first experience with Andrews' books.
I bought it one Saturday morning at the bookstore when we all went to browse.
By Saturday night, I was done. ( I sat outside with my children as they played with my head in the book.....)
It was that enthralling. It is laugh out loud funny.
It is so typically what we all fantasize about- plotting revenge against a cheating man with our Best friend
...Just kidding.....of course- who would fantasize about that???? .......
From her website..
"In a suburban Atlanta neighborhood where divorce is as rampant as kudzu, Mary Bliss McGowan doesn't notice that her own marriage is in trouble until the summer night she finds a note from her husband, telling her he's gone -- and taken the family fortune with him"

It is a delightful story of 2 friends and their marriages. The perfect one turns out to be not-so-perfect- and the 2 women go to extreme measures to expose the lying man's BIG OLE lies by telling some not so itty-bitty lies themselves.
It is a twisting, interesting, laugh-filled tale of how the itty-bitty lies can grow to big ole whoppers-- and how women scorned will stop at nothing to expose a cheating man- in true southern style.

After Lies, you will find Andrew's other books interesting, entertaining and just pure FUN.
Hissy Fit, Savannah Blues, Savannah Breeze and even Blue Christmas provide stories that you just can't put down, each and every one unique and captivating. I know I have passed these on to several other women, including my Mom and everyone loves them!
Her descriptive accounts of Southern life, antique hunting, murder, deception and of course, revenge, again, ring so true in all her books.
Enough details of the coastal retreats to keep it interesting,
descriptions detailed enough for you to form mental pictures of the gentile old southern decor, genuine antiques and hard wood-floored plantations
as well as characters bold enough and real enough for you to love and laugh with
all work together to form perfect plots.
From the coast of the Carolinas, to Savannah, to Georigia Country club life, Andrews strong women characters are smart, decisive and plain old funny.

While researching this review, I discovered that she has another book out!
I will be heading out to the bookstore shortly to purchase this and I am sure I will have it read by nightfall.
Oh wait......


She is also going to be in Birmingham for book signings:

Thurs. Mar. 6: 7 p.m. Books-A-Million Birmingham, AL. 757 Brookwood Village, Birmingham, AL 35209. 205-870-0213.
Fri. Mar. 7: 12 p.m. Little Professor Book Center Homewood, AL. 2717 18th St. So. Homewood, AL 35209.
Fri. Mar. 7, 5 p.m. Milestone Books Vestavia Hills, AL. Suite 106 700 Montgomery Highway, AL 35216. 205-824-2223.
Maybe I can meet her and thank her myself for her talent and for making me laugh and live vicariously through her characters.
Visit MARYKAYANDREWS.COM for pictures, excerpts, her own blog, touring schedule and more.
UPDATE:
I emailed Mary Kay after reading her blog and received a nice personal reply....What a nice thing to find in my inbox!

Comments

I am going to get a couple of these. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like my kind of reading (I aint a romance novel girl...but Love southern reads).THX again
Kalynne Pudner said…
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to check her out, too; sounds hilarious. And I know all about those divorce-ridden Atlanta suburbs; we used to live in one. Thank goodness we escaped to East Alabama before we were overtaken!