Anybody Can be a Poet


Back in the days of teaching writing classes, a first exercise was always fun to use to get to know each other and prove that ANYONE can be a poet.
Here is the format for an I AM poem.
Fill in the Blanks and repost on your blog.
These can be serious, funny, crazy.....whatever YOU ARE.
Mine will post soon! My son did one and I may post it too.
Get your kids to do one, print it on a cute picture, frame it.
A great keepsake.

I Am

I am (two special characteristics)
I wonder (something you are actually curious about)
I hear (an imaginary or real sound)
I see (an imaginary or real sight)
I want (an actual desire)
I am (the first line of the poem restated)
I pretend (something you actually pretend to do)
I feel (a feeling about something imaginary or real)
I touch (an imaginary or real touch)
I worry (something that really bothers you)
I cry (something that makes you very sad)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)
I understand (something you know is true)
I say (something you believe in)
I dream (something you actually dream about)
I try (something you really make an effort about)
I hope (something you actually hope for)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)


(See, you are a POET and didn't KNOW IT!)

Comments

j said…
I am... in.

I'll copy the prompts and link back to you. Will probably be next week though.

I actually LOVE poetry and dabbled in writing it. Then I read a discussion on another blog about good and bad poetry. TOTALLY stole my confidence. Bad poetry sounded like such a disgrace. But maybe the lesson should be people can steal your confidence only if you let them?

Be blessed.

Jen